We are delighted to offer two 4-year paid (salary + full fees) PhD positions in the area of artificial intelligence as part of a new initiative between IBM Research and Trinity College Dublin. The PhD projects will be jointly supervised by Prof. Ivana Dusparic at the School of Computer Science and Statistics at Trinity College Dublin (TCD) and the research team at IBM Research Dublin lead by Dr. Elizabeth Daly.
The selected students will be employed by IBM for the duration of the PhD and be registered PhD students in TCD, resulting in the following benefits:
- Access to resources and expertise both at IBM Research and TCD
- Research experience in both private and public sectors
- A substantial PhD Salary (>30,000 euro)
- Full TCD PhD programme fees (EU or non-EU level) paid
Position 1 – Reinforcement Learning for Real Life
This PhD will focus on progressing RL usability in the real-world large scale applications. The main topics of interest are Causality and Explainability in RL, User-in-the-Loop RL, Lifelong RL, RL for large-scale dynamic and heterogenous real world systems.
Position 2 – Incremental ML
This position will focus on incremental Machine learning for streaming data. The main topics of interest are novel incremental machine learning algorithms, autoML pipelines for incremental machine learning and extreme scale platforms for training and deploying incremental machine learning models that can scale to petabytes.
- MSc in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related area (min 2.1 grade or equivalent)
- Strong software development (Python) skills and statistics knowledge
- Previous AI/ML experience is a must, RL/incremental ML experience is a bonus
- Previous scientific publications are a bonus
How to apply
Please email a cover letter and a full CV with names of two referees to both Prof Ivana Dusparic
Positions are open until filled, but to be considered in the first round of applications, apply by close of business on August 27th 2021.