Experienced Research Fellow (Postdoc 4+ years) in Creative Technologies /Visual Computing 2017 January 9
Post Title: Experienced Research Fellow (Postdoc 4+ years) in Creative Technologies /Visual Computing
Post Status: Specific Purpose contract approximately 4 years – Full-time
Research Group /Department/School: V-SENSE Project, School of Computer Science and Statistics, Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin
Location: Stack B, IFSC, Custom House Quay,
Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin
College Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
Reports to: Professor Aljosa Smolic, Principal Investigator, V-SENSE
Salary: Appointment will be made on the SFI Team member Budget Experienced Postdoctorate Research Fellow Level 2B Salary scale at a point in line with Government Pay Policy
Closing Date and Time: 12 Noon on Tuesday 31st January
The successful candidate will be expected to take up post as soon as possible, preferable in March/April 2017.
Join our new team of 20+ researchers (half postdocs half PhDs) in Visual Computing at the intersection of Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Media Signal Processing. We are building a dynamic environment where enthusiastic young scientists with different backgrounds get together to shape the future in fundamental as well as applied research projects. Possible directions include but are not limited to:
• augmented reality (AR),
• virtual reality (VR),
• free viewpoint video (FVV),
• 3D video,
• 360/omni-directional video,
• high dynamic range (HDR),
• wide colour gamut (WCG),
• light-field technologies,
• 3D reconstruction, etc.
Individual research plans will be designed between PI, successful candidates and team, considering individual background, expertise, skills and interests, matching the overall strategy, and exploiting opportunities and inspirations.
The Experienced Research Fellow will provide leadership in the team, e.g. as supervisor and/or project leader. Academic career development will be encouraged and supported.
The research project “V-Sense - Extending Visual Sensation through Image-Based Visual Computing” is funded by SFI over five years with a substantial budget to cover over 20 researchers. This is part of a strategic investment in Creative Technologies by SFI and Trinity College, which is defined as one of the strategic research themes of the College. V-Sense intends to become an incubator in this context, to stimulate further integration and growth and to impact Creative Industries in Ireland as a whole.
Standard duties and Responsibilities of the Post
• Fundamental and/or applied research in Visual Computing at the intersection of Computer Vision, Computer Graphics and Media Signal Processing
• Scientific publications
• Contribution to prototype and demonstrator development
• Overall contribution to V-SENSE and teamwork
• Supervision of PhD and other students
• Outreach & dissemination
• Leadership in the team
The position is funded through the Science Foundation Ireland V-SENSE project.
• A Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field in the area of ICT.
• A minimum of 4 years of postdoctoral experience.
Knowledge & Experience (Essential & Desirable)
• An established track record of publication in leading journals and/or conferences, in one or more sub-areas of Visual Computing.
• Excellent knowledge of and integration in the related scientific communities.
• The ability to work well in a group, and the ability to mentor junior researchers, such as Ph.D. students.
• Affinity for creative dimensions of visual computing
• Experience in supervision and project leadership.
• Experience in academic services, e.g. peer reviewing, workshop/conference committee, etc.
• Experience with funding acquisition
• Teaching experience
• Academic track record, e.g. talks, tutorials
• Industry experience or engagement
• Prototype development
• Exhibitions, demos
Skills & Competencies
• Good written and oral proficiency in English (essential).
• Good communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal.
• Proven aptitude for Programming, System Analysis and Design.
• Proven ability to prioritise workload and work to exacting deadlines.
• Proven track record of publication in high-quality venues.
• Flexible and adaptable in responding to stakeholder needs.
• Strong team player who is able to take responsibility to contribute to the overall success of the team.
• Enthusiastic and structured approach to research and development.
• Excellent problem solving abilities. - Desire to learn about new products, technologies and keep abreast of new product and technical and research developments.
Further Information for Candidates
Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin
Founded in 1592, Trinity is at the nexus of tradition and innovation, offering undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across 24 schools and three faculties: arts, humanities, and social sciences; engineering, maths and science; and health sciences. Spread across 47 acres in Dublin’s city centre, Trinity’s 17,000-strong student body comes from all 32 counties of Ireland, and 16% of students come from outside the country. Of those, 40% are from outside the European Union, making Trinity’s campus cosmopolitan and bustling, with a focus on diversity.
As Ireland’s leading university, the pursuit of academic excellence through research and scholarship is at the heart of the Trinity education. Trinity is known for intellectual rigour, excellence, interdisciplinarity, and research-led teaching. Home to Nobel prize-winners such as scientist Ernest Walton and writer Samuel Beckett, Trinity draws visitors from across the world to its historic campus each year, including to the Book of Kells and Science Gallery which capture the university’s connection to both old and new.
Trinity accounts for one-fifth of all spin-out companies from Irish higher education institutions, helping to turn Ireland into an innovation-intensive, high-productivity economy. That culture of innovation and entrepreneurship is a defining characteristic of our campus as we help shape the next generation of job creators.
Trinity has developed significant strength in a broad range of research areas, including the 19 broadly based multi-disciplinary thematic research areas.
Ireland’s first purpose-built nanoscience research institute, CRANN, houses 150 scientists, technicians and graduate students in specialised laboratory facilities. Meanwhile, the state-of-the-art Biomedical Sciences Institute is carrying out breakthrough research in areas such as immunology, cancer and medical devices.
The Old Library, which houses the Long Room, in Trinity is the largest research library in Ireland, with a collection of six million printed items, 500,000 maps, 80,000 electronic journals, and 350,000 electronic books. Some of the world’s most famous scholars are graduates of Trinity, including writer Jonathan Swift, dramatist Oscar Wilde, philosopher George Berkeley, and political philosopher, and political theorist Edmund Burke. Three Trinity graduates have become Presidents of Ireland - Douglas Hyde, Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese.
Trinity is the highest ranked university in Ireland, and among the world’s leading higher education institutions.
Trinity College Dublin World University Rankings
• Trinity is Ireland’s No.1 University in the QS World University Ranking, THE World University Ranking and the Academic Ranking of World Universities (Shanghai).
• Trinity is ranked 71st in the World and 21st in Europe in the 2013/2014 QS World University Ranking across all indicators.
• Trinity is ranked 44th in the World in the Times Higher Education Top 100 Most International Universities.
• Trinity is 46th in the World in the QS World University Ranking 2013/2014 in terms of International Faculty.
• Trinity is ranked in the top 70 universities in the world in the Times Higher Education Ranking of World Universities in terms of overall research and in the top 75 universities in the world in terms of citations (research impact).
• Trinity ranks in the top 1% of research institutions in the world in the following 17 Essential Science Indicators fields (an increase of over 150% from 2004): Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Social Sciences (General), Immunology, Neurosciences, Nanosciences, Materials Science, Pharmacy and Toxicology, Molecular Biology and Genetics, Biology and Biochemistry, Microbiology, Plant and Animal Science, Clinical Medicine, Agriculture, Psychiatry/Psychology, Environment/Ecology.
In the QS Faculty Rankings 2015*:
• Trinity is ranked 63rd in the world in Arts and Humanities.
• Trinity is ranked 69th in the world in Life Sciences and Medicine.
• Trinity is ranked 89th in the in Social Sciences and Management.
In the QS Subject Rankings 2015**:
Trinity College Dublin features in the world's elite (Top 200) institutions in 25 of the 28 subjects in which it was evaluated by the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015. Of these, Trinity ranks in the top 100 in the world in 14 subjects and in the top 5 in the world in 5 subjects.
• Trinity is ranked 32nd in the world in English Language and Literature.
• Trinity is ranked 33rd in the world in Politics and International Studies.
• Trinity is ranked 39th in the world in History.
• Trinity is ranked 48th in the world in Biological Sciences.
• Trinity is ranked 49th in the world in Modern Languages.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Chemistry.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Computer Science and Information Systems.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Education.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Geography.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Law.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Medicine.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Philosophy.
• Trinity is in the top 100 in the world in Psychology.
Trinity subjects ranked in the world top 101-200 (QS Subject Ranking 2015)
Subject Trinity Rank
Accounting and Finance 101-150
Business and Management Studies 101-150
Economics and Econometrics 101-150
Physics and Astronomy 101-150
Engineering - Civil and Structural 151-200
Engineering – Electrical 151-200
Engineering – Mechanical 151-200
Environmental Sciences 151-200
* QS ‘Faculty’ Rankings 2015: www.topuniversities.com/faculty-rankings
** QS Subject Rankings 2015: www.topuniversities.com/subject-rankings
This is a pensionable position and the provisions of the Public Service Superannuation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 will apply in relation to retirement age for pension purposes. Details of the relevant Pension Scheme will be provided to the successful applicant.
Applicants should note that they will be required to complete a Pre-Employment Declaration to confirm whether or not they have previously availed of an Irish Public Service Scheme of incentivised early retirement or enhanced redundancy payment. Applicants will also be required to declare any entitlements to a Public Service pension benefit (in payment or preserved) from any other Irish Public Service employment.
Applicants formerly employed by the Irish Public Service that may previously have availed of an Irish Public Service Scheme of Incentivised early retirement or enhanced redundancy payment should ensure that they are not precluded from re-engagement in the Irish Public Service under the terms of such Schemes. Such queries should be directed to an applicant’s former Irish Public Service Employer in the first instance.
Employment Permit Eligibility Criteria
Applications from non-EEA citizens are welcomed. However, eligibility is determined under the relevant regulations of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. Trinity, as an accredited research organisation, can form Hosting Agreements with third country nationals (Non-EEA nationals) for the purposes of conducting research in the University. Non-EEA candidates should note that the onus is on them to secure a visa to travel to Ireland prior to interview. Non-EEA candidates should also be aware that even if successful at interview, an appointment to the post is contingent on the securing of a Hosting Agreement or Employment Permit as appropriate. See https://www.djei.ie/en/What-We-Do/Research-Innovation/Hosting-Agreement-Scheme/
Equal Opportunities Policy
Trinity College is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to employment policies, procedures and practices which do not discriminate on grounds such as gender, civil status, family status, age, disability, race, religious belief, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community.
On that basis we encourage and welcome talented people from all backgrounds to join our staff community.
Trinity College’s Diversity Statement can be viewed in full at
Candidates should submit a cover letter together with a full curriculum vitae to include the names and contact details of 2 referees (email addresses if possible) to:
Name: Orla Fox
Title: Research Project Administrator
Email Address: Orla.Fox@SCSS.TCD.ie
Contact Telephone Number: 018968176
Please include the reference code: VS-ERF on all correspondence.