Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Menu Search



Module Descriptor School of Computer Science and Statistics

Module CodeCS1E03
Module NameCOMPUTER ENGINEERING I
Module Short Title1E3
ECTS5
Semester Taughtsecond semester
Contact HoursLecture hours:33
 

Lab hours:22
 

Tutorial hours:
 
 
Total hours:55
Module PersonnelAssistant Professor Lucy Hederman
Learning Outcomes

Upon completion of this module, students will be able to:

  • Analyse simple programming problems;
  • Specify and design an algorithm to solve simple programming problems;
  • Write C++ programmes to solve simple programming problems;
  • Compile, run, test and debug C++ programmes;
  • Select and use correctly appropriate control structures for specific programming sub-problems;
  • Recognise the value of procedural abstraction and be able to use procedures to simplify programme design, hide detail and allow reuse of code;
  • Use arrays where appropriate in the design and implementation of a programme;
  • Predict the behaviour of a given C++ program that uses the concepts and constructs covered by the course.
Learning Aims

This module aims to equip students with the skills to design and develop simple imperative programs. It provides a solid grounding in algorithm design and programming techniques, in preparation for later courses that require programming.

Module Content
  • Introduction to computers and computing;
  • Programming, compiling and running programmes;
  • Basic C++ programmes; expressions, variables and data types, assignment;
  • Selection and the IF-ELSE statement;
  • Iteration, WHILE loops and FOR loops;
  • Programme design process, algorithms and pseudocode;
  • Advanced control flow: nested loops, nested IFs, the switch statement;
  • Procedural abstraction, functions in C+
  • File input/output;
  • Testing and debugging strategies;
  • Arrays and array algorithms.
Recommended Reading List

C++ Programming: Program Design Including Data Structures, DS Malik, 6th edition
 
Cengage Learning, ISBN 978-1-133-52635-3

Or

eBook version,  (for which a discount code will be issued to students)

Module Prerequisites
Assessment Details

Assessment is by means of a formal written examination which contributes 80% towards overall end-of-year grade. The other 20% is comprised of weekly assessments which take place during the computer-based laboratory practical sessions. Attendance at lectures and laboratories is compulsory. The annual written examination is a two hour examination requiring students to answer 3 questions out of 4 which tests students’ grasp of problem-solving, programming concepts and programme design and implementation skills. Supplemental assessment is based on 100% examination only.

Module Website
Academic Year of Data2016/17