The Programming Centre in the School of Computer Science and Statistics, Trinity College Dublin has been in operation for more than a decade. As one of the first formal programming support initiatives it has always been at the forefront of both practical and academic endeavours in the domain.
The Programming Centre (PSC) is available to all Computer Science and Engineering students taking programming modules in SCSS. The service is free and operates on a drop-in basis throughout the teaching year. Support is provided for all languages that we teach within the School of Computer Science and Statistics.
Opening hours (Week ending Friday 27th November 2015)
Tuesday 11.30 - 13.30
Wednesday 10.00 - 12.00
Thursday 11.30 - 13.30
The timetable is updated in response to demand so please check in regularly. E-mail us for a dedicated small-group appointment (please try dropping by to a regular session first!)
The Centre is located in Dunlop/Oriel House on Fenian Street (the CTVR/Connect building). Your ID card will allow you access via the main front entrance. We are on the first floor, go up the stairs inside the door and turn left. For problems with your ID card not opening the door e-mail email@example.com.
Centre staff can provide support in C, C++, C#, Objective C, Java, ARM assembly, Matlab, PHP, shell scripting etc.
What we do
The staff will do their utmost to help you get to grips with programming, and to become a more confident, independent programmer. We will help you to understand and use aspects of the language that are causing you difficulty. We will also help you to understand program syntax, logic and flow.
What we don't do
- Assignments - the staff won't do assignments for you so please don't ask!
- Algorithms – we won’t teach you algorithmics or construct coursework related algorithms for you.
- Write code - the tutors will not write code for you, but we will help you with the logic and concepts within tasks/code you have already written.
- Third party code support - we don't support third party code or any coding that is not directly relevant to your SCSS modules.
- Commercial work - again we don't undertake any commercial work. That is not the role or purpose of the PSC.
One-off private appointments are available (typically for groups of 3 or more) where you feel your query can't be adequately dealt with via the drop-in sessions. Please e-mail us with details of your requirements and we will assign a tutor and a timeslot.
Multiple repeat private appointments
Programming requires serious commitment and effort and we want to encourage you to get fully engaged and give it your best effort from the outset. Thus second (and subsequent) private appointments will only be assigned where merited.