We are hiring (again): Software Engineer / Machine-Learning Engineer / Software Architect / Product Manager for a Recommender-Systems Spin-Out Company (TCD Dublin, Ireland)
We have received funding to hire two employees to spin-out a business start-up in the field of recommendations-as-a-service. The two positions are to be filled with two machine-learning engineers, software engineers, software architects or product managers and both employees are expected to work together very closely here at Trinity College Dublin, the ADAPT Centre respectively. The employees will be responsible for developing a recommender-system as-a-service that uses a unique machine-learning technology, which is based on the research of Asst. Professor Joeran Beel who is the project lead. The first position is already filled with a full-stack software engineer and software architect. This person is flexible in the responsibilities and open to focus more on either the software engineering / machine-learning or on the architectural and product management part. Consequently, the focus of the second position is also flexible, depending on the applicants’ interests and skills.
There is currently a prototype of the system (http://mr-dlib.org), which delivers around 10 million recommendations per month to two pilot partners. However, the current system is being re-designed, re-implemented, and extended with various features. The goal of the project is to develop a market-ready prototype of the recommender-system as-a-service, acquire around 10 more pilot partners, and spin-out a start-up company. The two employees hired are expected to be the founders of the start-up company, together with Professor Beel. The expected long-term roles of the two employees/founders are CEO, CTO, CPO, CPIO, COO or similar. The primary task will be to design, develop and maintain the recommender system. This includes identifying suitable machine-learning and recommendation frameworks; researching, designing and implementing a novel meta-learning recommendation approach; designing database schema; writing code and administering (cloud) servers. Additional tasks such as intern supervision, writing a business plan and acquiring pilot partners may be conducted, too. In general, as the project progresses, the tasks and responsibilities listed may be expanded and shared between the two employees. Both employees will be expected to work as a team and both are responsible for the project success.
The funding was granted for two years, subject to the achievement of some milestones after the first year. The salary will be based the Administrative Officer 2 Salary Scale (€47,676 to €56,021 per annum) at a point in line with Government Pay Policy. Applications must be made through https://jobs.tcd.ie, which also provides the full job specs and more details for the application. Questions can be directly sent to me by email. The application deadline is 12 Noon, 15 May 2018.
Standard Duties and Responsibilities of the Post
- Applying various machine-learning and recommendation frameworks
- Designing and implementing a novel meta-learning recommender-system approach
- Designing and implementing the recommendation API (REST Web Service)
- Ensuring high code quality
- Developing and maintaining a production system that delivers millions of recommendations to around a dozen of partners, which each may have millions of users.
- Supervision of software engineers, PhD students, and student interns/volunteers
- Supporting the research team of Prof Beel
- Perform other duties which will arise from time to time and as directed by the head of the Project.
- Bachelor or Master in Computer Science, or a similar field, and ideally some years of work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Good Knowledge in Recommender Systems and Machine Learning
- Experience in designing and building large-scale (cloud) applications that deal with dozens of millions of requests per months and store and process Terra Bytes of data.
- Experience in software development processes and tools including build systems such as Gradle, continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, versioning systems such as Git, and ticket management systems such as JIRA
- Good knowledge in data formats (in particular XML and JSON), Web Services (REST) and Web standards (HTTP/HTTPS).
- Excellent knowledge in JAVA, Python, MySQL, and Linux
- Very high self-motivation and hands-on experience
- Extremely high attention to detail and accuracy
- Love for high code quality
- Experience with agile project management methods (Scrum or Kanban)
- Start-up experience
- Experience in A/B Testing
- Effective technical documentation skills including experience with MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work on own initiative but also to work as an active and efficient team member when required.
- Other related experience and skills which the candidate may have to offer will be taken into consideration.