Interesting Online references:
- Linear Algebra, book by Jim Hefferon.
- Numerical recipes in C William H. Press, Saul A. Teukolsky, William Vetterling and Brian P. Flannery, 1992
- The Matrix Cookbook, K. Brandt Petersen & M. Syskind Pedersen, Sept. 2007.
- Mathematical Optimization in Graphics and Vision, P.C.Pinto Carvalho and L. Velho, SIGGRAPH 2003.
- Practical Least-Squares for Computer Graphics, F. Pighin & J. P. Lewis, Siggraph 2007.
- Numerical Computing with MATLAB, by Cleve Moler.
- Applied Partial Differential Equations, J. David Logan, Springer 1991.
- Digital Signal and Image Processing using Matlab, G. Blanchet and M. Chaubit, ISTE 2001.
- Introduction to Numerical Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations using matlab, A. Staneoyevitch, Wiley 2005.
- Matlab is used and is available in the lab.
- Octave, a free alternative to matlab, almost fully compatible with Matlab.
- 1st term assignment. It is to hand in at the end of Michaelmas term (7/12/2007) at my office.
- 2nd term assigngment. It is to hand in at the end of Hilary term (5/03/2008) in class or in my office.
- Introduction and revisions of Linear Algebra, 10/10/2007
- Least Squares, 11 Oct. 2007.
- Principal Component Analysis 17 Oct. 2007.
- Tutorial, 18 October 2007.
- lecture on optimization, 24 October 2007.
lecture on ODE, 31 October 2007.
- Applied Partial Differential Equations, J. David Logan, Springer, 1998 (Appendix A).
- solution to exercises on ODE.
lecture on ODE (finding numerical solutions), 1 Nov. 2007.
- Games and Physics: Design Issues by C. Low at HP. This is an easy reading illustrating the use of ODE with numerical methods (e.g. section 5).
lecture on ODE (2nd order) with Laplace Transform, 7 Nov. 2007.
- exercise, 8 Nov. 2007
- lecture on PDE, 14 Nov. 2007.
lecture on Method of Weighted Residuals, 21 and 22 Nov. 2007.
- Some answers to exercises, 21 and 22 Nov. 2007.
Notes on Dirac function, and Vector space, 29 Nov. 2007.
- Exercise Galerkin Formulation of Poisson's equation, 28-29 Nov. 2007.
- Fourier transform, 5 Dec. 2007.
Discrete Fourier Transform, 6 Dec. 2007.
- Answers to exercises on DFT, 6 Dec. 2007.
- p.d.f., non-parametric estimate of p.d.f., parameters, moments and statistics, January 10th, 2008.
- parametric estimate of p.d.f., marginals, joint p.d.fs, January 16th, 2008.
- Classification, transformation of random variable, January 17th, 2008.
- Hough and Radon transforms, January 23rd, 2008.
- Kalman Filter, January 24th, 2008.
- The inversion method, January 30th, 2008.
- Numerical integration, January 31st, 2008.
- Sampling theorem, February 6th, 2008.
- Notes on wavelets, February 14th, 2008.
- Link in between least square estimation and normality assumption on the residuals, 20 February 2008
Differences in between PCA and least squares
- example of matlab code, 21 Feb. 2008
- Reminder Newton Raphson, 21 Feb. 2008
- gradient methods, 27 Feb. 2008
- Correction Assignments 1 & 2, 5-6 March 2008
Illustration of Least Squares in Computer graphics:
- Least-Squares Meshes, O. Sorkine and D. Cohen-Or, proceeding of shape Modeling International, pp. 191-199, 2004