- M. Barry and G. Doherty, How we talk about interactivity: Modes and meanings in HCI research, Interacting with Computers, 2017. DOI 10.1093/iwc/iwx004
- Marcano Belisario JS, Doherty K, O’Donoghue J, A bespoke mobile application for the longitudinal assessment of depression and mood during pregnancy: protocol of a feasibility study, BMJ Open (to appear), 2017.
- D. Richards, L. Timulak, C. Rashleigh, O. McLoughlin, A. Colla, C. Joyce, G. Doherty, J. Sharry, D. Duffy, M. Anderson-Gibbons, Effectiveness of an internet-delivered intervention for generalized anxiety disorder in routine care: A randomised controlled trial in a student population, Internet Interventions, Vol. 6, Nov., pp.80-88, 2016. DOI 10.1016/j.invent.2016.10.003
- R. Atachiants, G. Doherty & D. Gregg, Parallel Performance Problems on Shared-Memory Multicore Systems: Taxonomy and Observation, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering , 42(8) August 2016, DOI 10.1109/TSE.2016.2519346. (Open Access).
- M. Barry & G. Doherty, What we talk about when we talk about interactivity: Empowerment in public discourse, New Media & Society, (to appear), 2016. DOI 10.1177/1461444815625944
- D. Richards, T. Murphy, N. Viganó, L. Timulak, G. Doherty, J. Sharry, C. Hayes, Acceptability, satisfaction and perceived efficacy of “Space from Depression” an internet-delivered treatment for depression, Internet Interventions vol. 5:12-22, September 2016. doi:10.1016/j.invent.2016.06.007 (Open Access).
- Abdullah, S., Matthews, M., Frank, E., Doherty, G., Gay, G. & Choudhury, T. Automatic detection of social rhythms in Bipolar Disorder. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 23 (3): 538-543. DOI 10.1093/jamia/ocv200.
- D Richards, T Richardson, L Timulak, N Viganò, J Mooney, G Doherty, C. Hayes, J. Sharry, Predictors of depression severity in a treatment-seeking sample, International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, 16, (3), 2016, p221 – 229. DOI doi:10.1016/j.ijchp.2016.02.001.
- Gibbons C, Bailador del Pozo G, Andrés J, Lobstein T, Manco M, Lewy H, Bergman E, O’Callaghan D, Doherty G, Kudrautseva O, Palomares A, Ram R, Olmo A, Data-as-a-Service Platform for Delivering Healthy Lifestyle and Preventive Medicine: Concept and Structure of the DAPHNE Project, JMIR Res Protoc, 5(4):e222, 2016, DOI 10.2196/resprot.6589
- D. Richards, L. Timulak, E. O’Brien, C. Hayes, N. Vigano, J. Sharry & G. Doherty. A Randomized Controlled Trial of an internet-delivered treatment: its potential as a low-intensity community intervention for adults with symptoms of depression. Behaviour Research and Therapy 75:20-31 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2015.10.005
- S. Schlögl, S. Luz and G. Doherty, Wizard of Oz Experimentation for Language Technology Applications: Challenges and Tools, Interacting with Computers, 27(6):592-615, 2015. Full text . Free PDF .
- C. Morrison and G. Doherty, Analysing Engagement in a Web-based Intervention Platform through Visualising Log-data, Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2014;16(11):e252. DOI: 10.2196/jmir.3575 (open access). PDF preprint.
- D. Richards, L. Timulak, G. Doherty, J. Sharry, A. Colla, C. Joyce and C. Hayes, Internet-delivered treatment: its potential as a low-intensity community intervention for adults with symptoms of depression: protocol for a randomized controlled trial , BMC Psychiatry 2014, 14:147 doi:10.1186/1471-244X-14-147 (Open access).
- M.D. Harrison, J.C. Campos, G. Doherty, Analysing interactive devices based on information resource constraints, accepted to International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 72(3), 2014. DOI 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2013.10.005 (open access, free to download courtesy of EPSRC).
- D. Richards, L. Timulak, G. Doherty, J. Sharry, O. McLoughlin, C. Rashleigh, A. Colla and C. Joyce, Low-intensity internet-delivered treatment for generalized anxiety symptoms in routine care: protocol for a randomized controlled trial, Trials 2014, 15:145 doi:10.1186/1745-6215-15-145
- J. Sharry, R. Davidson, O. McLoughlin and G. Doherty, A Service-Based Evaluation of a Therapist-Supported Online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Programme for Depression, J Med Internet Res 2013;15(6):e121. doi:10.2196/jmir.2248. PDF proof.
- G. Doherty, N. Karamanis and S. Luz, Collaboration in Translation: The Impact of Increased Reach on Cross-organisational Work, CSCW Journal, 21(6), pp.525-554, 2012. DOI 10.1007/s10606-012-9175-1. PDF Preprint.
- N. Karamanis, S. Luz and G. Doherty, Translation practice in the workplace: contextual analysis and implications for machine translation, Machine Translation, 25, (1), p35 – 52, 2011. DOI 10.1007/s10590-011-9093-x. PDF Preprint.
- G. Doherty, J.McKnight and S. Luz, Fieldwork for Requirements: Frameworks for Mobile Healthcare Applications, International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 68 (10), pp.760-776, 2010. DOI 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2010.06.005 . PDF Preprint.
- C. Upton, G. Doherty, F. Gleeson & C. Sheridan, Designing Decision Support in an Evolving Sociotechnical Enterprise, Cognition Technology and Work, 12(1), pp.13-30, 2010. DOI 10.1007/s10111-008-0124-1 . PDF Preprint.
- G. Doherty, D. Coyle and M. Matthews, Design and Evaluation Guidelines for Mental Health Technologies, Interacting with Computers, 22(4), pp.43-252, 2010. DOI 10.1016/j.intcom.2010.02.006. PDF Preprint.
- M. Matthews and G. Doherty, The invisible user, ACM interactions, XVI(6), pp. 13-19, November/December 2009. DOI 10.1145/1620693.1620697. PDF.
- D. Lewis, S. Curran, G. Doherty, K. Feeney, N. Karamanis, S. Luz, J. McAuley, Supporting Flexibility and Awareness in Localisation Workflows, Localisation Focus The International Journal of Localisation, 8, (1), 2009, p29 – 38.
- D.Coyle, G. Doherty, J.Sharry, An evaluation of a solution focussed computer game in adolescent interventions. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 14, (3), 2009, p345 – 360, 2009. DOI 10.1177/1359104508100884. PDF Preprint.
- M. Matthews, G. Doherty and J. Sharry, Mobile Phone Mood Charting for Adolescents, British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 36(2), pp.113 – 129, 2008. DOI 10.1080/03069880801926400. Preprint in PDF format .
- D. Coyle, G. Doherty, J. Sharry and M.Matthews, Computers in Talk-based mental health interventions, Interacting with Computers, 19(4), pp.545-562, 2007. DOI 10.1016/j.intcom.2007.02.001. Preprint in PDF format .
- C. Upton and G. Doherty Extending Ecological Interface Design Principles: A Manufacturing Case Study, International Journal of Human Computer Studies, 66 (4), p271 – 286, 2008. DOI 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2007.10.007. Preprint in PDF format
- D. Coyle, M. Matthews, J. Sharry, A. Nisbet and G. Doherty, Personal Investigator: A Therapeutic 3D Game for Adolescent Psychotherapy, Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 2(2), pp. 73 – 88, 2005. Preprint(PDF). DOI 10.1108/17415650580000034
- G.Doherty, M.Massink and G.Faconti, Using Hybrid Automata to Support Human Factors Analysis in a Critical System, Formal Methods in System Design 19(2) September 2001. Preprint (PDF) Alternatively the original article is available on springerlink. DOI 10.1023/A:1011232016683
- G.Doherty and J.F.Campos and M.D.Harrison, Representational Reasoning and Verification, Formal Aspects of Computing, 12(4): 260-277, 2000. Preprint (PDF) . Alternatively, the original article is available on springerlink. DOI 10.1007/PL00003934
Refereed Book Chapters
||C. Upton and G. Doherty, Visual Representation of Complex Information Structures in High Volume Manufacturing, in IFIP International Federation for Information Processing, Volume 221, Human Work Interaction Design: Designing for Human Work, ed. T. Clemmensen, P. Campos, R. Orngreen, A. Petjersen and W. Wong, (Boston: Springer), pp 27-45, 2006. Preprint (PDF)
- M.Matthews, G. Doherty, D. Coyle and J. Sharry Designing mobile applications to support mental health interventions, in Handbook of Research on User Interface Design and Evaluation for Mobile Technology, Lumsden Jo (Ed.), IGI, Information Science Reference, pp.635 – 656, 2008. Preprint in PDF format
- M.D. Harrison, J.C. Campos, G. Doherty and K. Loer, Connecting Rigorous System Analysis to Experience Centred Design, in Maturing Usability: Quality in Software, Interaction and Value, E. Law, E. Hvannberg, and G. Cockton (Eds.), Springer-Kluwer International Series in Human-Computer Interaction, pp. 56-74, 2008.
Conference and International Workshop Papers
- M. Barry, K. Doherty, J. Marcano Belisario, J. Car, C. Morrison and G. Doherty, m-Health for Maternal Mental Health: Everyday wisdom in Ethical Design, To appear in Proceedings of ACM CHI 2017 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. BEST PAPER AWARD (Top 1% of 2400 submissions). The paper will be open access – PDF preprint.
- M. Matthews, S. Voida, S. Abdullah, G. Doherty, T. Choudhury, S. Im, G. Gay, In Situ Design for Mental Illness: Considering the Pathology of Bipolar Disorder in mHealth Design, Proceedings of 17th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI 2015), ACM 2015. DOI 10.1145/2785830.2785866. PDF Preprint
- R. Atachiants, D. Gregg, K. Jarvis and G. Doherty, Design Considerations for Parallel Performance Tools, Proceedings of ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp.2501-2510, 2014. (Honorable Mention award). DOI 10.1145/2556288.2557350. PDF preprint.
- M. Matthews, G. Gay and G. Doherty, Taking Part: Role-play in the Design of Therapeutic Systems, Proceedings of ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp.643-652, 2014. (Honorable Mention award). 10.1145/2556288.2557103. PDF preprint.
- D Spachos, A Chifari, G Chiazzese, G Merlo, G Doherty, P Bamidis, WHAAM: A mobile application for ubiquitous monitoring of ADHD behaviors, Interactive Mobile Communication Technologies and Learning (IMCL), IEEE, 2014. 10.1109/IMCTL.2014.7011153. Best Special Session Paper Award.
- S. Schlögl, S. Luz, G. Doherty, WebWOZ: A Platform for Designing and Conducting Web-based Wizard of Oz Experiments, Proceedings of the SIGdial Meeting on Discourse and Dialogue, 2013 (demonstration track). PDF.
- G. Doherty, D. Coyle and J. Sharry, Engagement with Online Mental Health Interventions: An Exploratory Clinical Study of a Treatment for Depression , ACM CHI 2012 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Austin, TX, ACM, 2012, pp.1421-1430, DOI 10.1145/2207676.2208602, full paper. PDF Preprint.
- I. Omoronyia, L. Pasquale, M. Salehie, L. Cavallaro, G. Doherty and B. Nuseibeh, Caprice: A tool for engineering adaptive privacy , 27th International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE 2012), pp. 354-357, DOI 10.1145/2351676.2351745, tools track. PDF preprint.
- D. Coyle, G. Doherty, N. McGlade and G. O’Reilly, Exploratory evaluations of a computer game supporting Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for adolescents, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2011), pp.2937-2946, DOI 10.1145/1978942.1979378, full paper. PDF Preprint.
- M. Matthews and G. Doherty, In the mood: engaging teenagers in psychotherapy using mobile phones, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2011), DOI 10.1145/1978942.1979379, pp.2947-2956, full paper. PDF Preprint.
- S Schlögl, A Schneider, S Luz, G Doherty, Supporting the Wizard: Interface Improvements in Wizard of Oz Studies. Proceedings of the 25th BCS Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (WIP track), 509-514.
- I. van der Sluis, C. Mellish and G. Doherty, Affective text: generation strategies and emotion measurement issues, 24th International FLAIRS conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI, pp.123-128 , 2011. PDF.
- M. Mathews and G. Doherty, My Mobile Story: Therapeutic Storytelling for Children, Extended abstracts of ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Vancouver, Canada., DOI 10.1145/1979742.1979860, pp. 2059-2064, ACM, 2011. PDF.
- D. Coyle and G. Doherty, Stepped Care and Mental Health Technologies, ECCE 2010 Workshop on Cognitive Engineering for Technology in Mental Health Care and Rehabilitation, EACE 2010.
- S. Schlögl, G. Doherty, N. Karamanis, S. Luz, WebWOZ: A Wizard of Oz prototyping framework, in proceedings of ACM Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems 2010, pp.109-114, ACM, 2010. DOI 10.1145/1822018.1822035 . PDF .
- G.O’Reilly, D. Coyle, N. McGlade, G. Doherty, A New Computerised CBT Game for Children, to be presented at the International Congress of Applied Psychology 2010 (ICAP 2010).
- N. Karamanis, S. Luz and G. Doherty, Translation practice in the workplace and Machine Translation, Conference of the European Association for Machine Translation (EAMT 2010), pp245 – 252, 2010. PDF on MT-Archive .
- S. Schlögl, G. Doherty, N. Karamanis, A. Schneider, and S. Luz, Observing the Wizard: In search of a generic interface for Wizard of Oz studies, Proceedings of iHCI 2010 Irish Human Computer Interaction Conference, pp43 – 50, 2010
- G. Doherty, D. Coyle, M. Matthews and J. Sharry, Client-Centered Design of Technology to Support Mental Health, Global Telemedicine and eHealth Updates, Med-e-Tel 2010, pp171 – 175, 2010.
- D. Coyle, G. Doherty and J. Sharry. PlayWrite: End-User Adaptable Games to Support Adolescent Mental Health, in Proceedings of ACM Conference – Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2010), Atlanta, Ga., pp3889-3894, 2010. DOI 10.1145/1753846.1754074 . PDF.
- D. Coyle, G. Doherty, M. Matthews, and J. Sharry. Engaging with mental health: a global challenge, Workshop on Interactive Systems in Healthcare, pp.33-36, 2010. PDF.
- I. van der Sluis, F. Hielkema, Chris Mellish and G. Doherty. Ontology Based Queries – Investigating a Natural Language Interface. Proceedings of the Workshop on Visual Interfaces to the Social and Semantic Web (VISSW 2010), Hong Kong, CEUR-WS vol. 565, 2010, pp1 – 5, 2010. PDF.
- D. Coyle and G. Doherty, Clinical Evaluations and Collaborative Design: developing new technologies for mental healthcare interventions, Proceedings of 27th ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2009), Boston, Mass., April 04-09, 2009, ACM, New York, 2009, pp2051 – 2060 (full paper). DOI 10.1145/1518701.1519013 . PDF Preprint. Free PDF version from ACM.
- N. Karamanis, A. Schneider, I. van der Sluis, S. Schlogl, G. Doherty and S. Luz, Do HCI and NLP Interact?, Proceedings of ACM Conference – Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2009), Boston, Mass., 2009, pp4333-4338 (Work in Progress Track). DOI 10.1145/1520340.1520662
- D. Murphy, G. Doherty and S. Luz, Differentiating between Novice and Expert Surgeons Based on Errors Derived from Task Analysis. J. Abascal, I. Fajardo, and I. Oakley, Eds. ECCE ’08, vol. 369. ACM, New York, NY, 1-4. DOI 10.1145/1473018.1473058
- D. Coyle and G. Doherty, Ontologies for Technology in Mental Health Interventions, Proceedings of First International workshop on Ontologies in Interactive Systems, IEEE Digital Library, ISBN 978-0-7695-3542-5, pp.18-26, 2008. DOI 10.1109/ONTORACT.2008.12
- J. McKnight and G. Doherty, Distributed Cognition and Mobile Healthcare Work, Proceedings of 22nd BCS Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Volume 2, pp.35-38, 2008.
- G. Doherty, I. van der Sluis, N. Karamanis & S. Luz, Designing personalised, multilingual speech and language based applications, Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference, Cork, J.McCarthy, I.Pitt and J. Kirakowski (Eds.), 2008.
- J. McKnight, G. Doherty. B. Kane and S. Luz, Concepts for Analysis and Design of Mobile Healthcare Applications, Engineering Interactive Systems/Human Centered Software Engineering, edited by F. Paterno and P. Forbrig, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 5247, pp.229-236, Springer, 2008. DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-85992-5_21 .
- G. Doherty, J. Campos and M.D. Harrison, Resources for Situated Actions , Interactive Systems: Design, Specification and Verification, 2008, Springer LNCS vol. 5136, pp.194-207, 2008 Preprint PDF . Original on Springerlink, DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-70569-7_19 .
- J. McKnight & G. Doherty, Using ethnographic data: Concepts for Analysis and Design, Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference, Cork, J.McCarthy, I.Pitt and J. Kirakowski (Eds.), 2008.
- G. Doherty, J. Sharry, M. Bang, M. Alcañiz, Rosa Baños, Technology in Mental Health, CHI 2008 extended abstracts, Florence, Italy, pp3965-3968, 2008. DOI 10.1145/1358628.1358968. Free PDF from ACM Digital Library.
- C. Upton and G. Doherty, Integrating Ecological Interface Design with the Visualisation Reference Model, Proceedings of 25th European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, pp.175-178, 2007. DOI 10.1145/1362550.1362585. Preprint (PDF).
- C. Upton and G. Doherty, Designing charts for complex work settings, Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Information Visualisation (IV06), pp. 447 – 452, IEEE Computer Society, London, 2006.
Preprint (PDF), DOI 10.1109/IV.2006.40.
- C. Upton and G. Doherty, Designing Usable Decision Support Systems for HVM, Proceedings of 10th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Factory Automation, edited by Lucia Lo Bello & Thilo Sauter, vol 1., pp.459-466, IEEE, 2005
Preprint(PDF) Abstract and paper on IEEE Explore
- G. Doherty and C.Upton, Designing Displays for Mobile Decision Support, Proceedings of 19th BCS Conference on Human Computer Interaction (HCI 2005), Vol. 2, pp. 83-88, L. MacKinnon, O. Bertelsen and N. Bryan-Kinns (Eds.), 2005.
- C. Upton and G. Doherty, Adapting the ADS for High Volume Manufacturing, Proceedings of 10th IFIP International Conference on Human Computer Interaction (Interact), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3585, pp.1038-1041, M.F. Costabile and F. Paterno (Eds.), Springer 2005. Download preprint (PDF). Alternatively, the original article is available on springerlink , DOI 10.1007/11555261_99.
- J. Campos and G. Doherty, Supporting resource based analysis of task information needs, Proceedings of Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems ’05, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3941, pp. 188 – 200, Springer 2006. Preprint (PDF). The original article is available on Springerlink, DOI 10.1007/11752707_16
- M. Matthews and G. Doherty, Wireless Therapy: mobile games as a means of engaging adolescent clients. Presented at Cybertherapy 2005, Basel, Switzerland. Abstract in Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 8(4), pp.343, 2005.
- D. Coyle, G. Doherty and J. Sharry, Adaptable Computer Gaming for Adolescent Psychotherapy. Presented at Cybertherapy 2005, Basel, Switzerland. Abstract in Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 8(4), pp.311-312, 2005
- M. Matthews, D. Coyle, J. Sharry, A. Nisbet and G. Doherty, Personal Investigator: Computer Mediated Adolescent Psychotherapy using an Interactive 3D Game, NILE 2004 3rd International Conference for Narrative in Interactive Learning Environments, 2004.
- G. Doherty, Information Representations, Context and the Design Process, Proceedings of the Workshop on Software Engineering and Human Computer Interaction, pp21-28 (IEE), ICSE 2004. PDF
- J. Campos and G. Doherty, Reasoning about Dynamic Information Displays, Proceedings of Interactive Systems, Design Specification and Verification, volume 2844 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2003. Abstract and PDF on springerlink.DOI 10.1007/b13960.
- G. Doherty, T. Anderson, M. Wilson and G. Faconti, A Control-Centred Approach to Designing Interaction with Novel Devices, Conference on Universal Access in Human Computer Interaction, New Orleans, Proceedings of HCI International, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2001. Preprint(PDF)
- G. Doherty, M. Massink and G. Faconti, Reasoning about Interactive Systems with Stochastic Models, Proceedings of DSV-IS 2001, Glasgow, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 2220. DOI 10.1007/3-540-45522-1_9. PDF preprint.
- G.Doherty, T. Rist and M. Wilson, Information Representations for Shared Communication Spaces, MobileHCI ’01, Lille, Sep. 2001.
- G. Doherty and M. Wilson, Modelling Ubiquitous Computing Applications , Proceedings of I3 Workshop on Continuity in Future Computing Systems, Porto 2001.
- G.Doherty, M.Massink, G.Faconti, Formal Verification in the Design of Gestural Interaction, Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, 43 (2001), pp.75-96, Elsevier. DOI 10.1016/S1571-0661(04)80895-8
- G. Doherty and J. Campos, Reasoning about Time in Dynamic Information Displays, Proceedings of I3 Workshop on Continuity in Future Computing Systems, Porto 2001.
- L. Sastry, G. Doherty and M. Wilson, Continuity of Interaction in VR Facilitated Groupwork, Proceedings of I3 Workshop on Continuity in Future Computing Systems, Porto 2001.
- G.Doherty and L.Watts, Perceptual-Motor Performance Issues in the MagicBoard Scenario, Continuous Interaction Workshop, ACM CHI 2000 Workshops, ACM, The Hague, April 2000.
- M.Massink, G.Doherty and G. Faconti, Continuity in Human Computer Interaction , Continuous Interaction Workshop, ACM CHI 2000 Workshops, ACM, The Hague, April 2000.
- G.Doherty and M.Massink, Continuous Interaction and Human Control , European Conference on Human Decision Making and Manual Control, Group-D Publications, Loughborough 1999. PostScript PDF
- G.Doherty, M.Massink and G.Faconti, Using Hybrid Automata to Support Human Factors Analysis in a Critical System, ERCIM Workshop on Formal Methods in Industrial Critical Systems, Trento, July 1999.
- G. Doherty and M.D. Harrison, Integrating Joint Behaviour and Dialogue Description, presented at the 5th International Eurographics Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems (DSV-IS ’98). Abingdon, U.K. June 2-5 1998. Springer, Eurographics series. PDF Preprint.
- G. Doherty, J.F. Campos and M.D. Harrison, Representational Reasoning and Verification, Formal Aspects of Human Computer Interaction, Sheffield, September 1998.
- G.Doherty and M.D.Harrison, A Representational Approach to the Specification of Presentations, presented at the 4th Eurographics Workshop on the Design Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems (DSV-IS ’97) in Granada, Spain, June 1997. Springer, Eurographics series.
||G.Doherty, A. Quigley, and S. Luz (Eds.), Proceedings of IHCI 2009, ISBN 9781871408485.
||G. Doherty and A. Blandford (eds.), Interactive Systems: Design, Specification and Verification, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4323, Springer, 2007. DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-69554-7.
- Guest Editors G. Doherty, G. Faconti, M.Massink and M. Wilson, Special Issue on Continuity in Future Computing Systems, Universal Access in Human Computer Interaction, 1(4), Springer, 2002.
- G.Doherty, A Pragmatic Approach to the Formal Specification of Interactive Systems, D.Phil Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of York, December 1998.
- Roman Atachiants, Supporting visual diagnosis of performance problems in multi-core and parallel software, PhD Thesis, School of Computer Science and Statistics, Trinity College Dublin, 2016.
- Stephan Schlogl, Supporting Wizard of Oz Experimentation for Language Technology Applications, PhD Thesis, School of Computer Science & Statistics, Trinity College Dublin, 2013. PDF of thesis .
- David Coyle, Adaptable Design for Talk-Based Mental Health Interventions, PhD Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin, 2008. PDF of thesis.
- Connor Upton, Designing Visual Decision Support for Sociotechnical Enterprises, PhD Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin, 2009. PDF of thesis.
- Mark Matthews, The design of systems to engage adolescents in professional mental health services, PhD Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin, 2009. PDF of thesis.
Invited articles, talks and position papers
- Invited talk at UCC School of Public Health, March 2017.
- Keynote at the 10th Irish HCI Conference, October 2016.
- Keynote at Technology for Wellbeing Conference, November 2015.
- Seminar at University of St. Andrews, June 2015.
- Invited talk at Federation of European Medical Academies, Symposium on Adolescent Health, Paris, May 2015.
- Talk at IFIP WG 2.7/13.4 meeting, Toulouse, December 2014.
- Talk at Mental Health Nurse Managers Conference, Galway, October 2014.
- Talk at Technology for Wellbeing Conference, September 2014.
- Talk at 6th ISRII Scientific Meeting, Chicago, Analysing Engagement in an Online Mental Health Intervention Platform, May 2013 (joint work with Cecily Morrison).
- Talk at Health Informatics Society of Ireland Conference, The SilverCloud e-health platform, 15th November 2012.
- Talk at ACAMH National Youth Mental Health conference, The role of technology in promoting youth mental health (with Inspire Ireland), Sept 2012.
- Talk at National Mental Health Conference, Improving engagement with mental health technologies, 27th September 2012.
- Talk at Centre for Practice and Healthcare Innovation, The SilverCloud e-health platform, September 2012.
- Talk at Culture Lab, Newcastle, How do we engage users with online mental health interventions? August 2011.
- Departmental Seminar, University of York, Designing Technology for Mental Health, May 2011.
- Talk at Rainbow Interaction Group, Univ. Cambridge, The problem of engagement in online mental health programmes, May 2011.
- Gavin Doherty, Ruth Davidson, Orla McLoughlin, David Coyle, John Sharry, Increasing engagement with computer-supported treatment. Presented at International Society for Research on Internet Interventions, Fifth Research Meeting.
- David Lewis, Stephen Curran, Gavin Doherty, Kevin Feeney, Nikiforos Karamanis, Saturnino Luz, Supporting Flexibility and Awareness in Localisation Workflows, The 14th Annual Internationalisation and Localisation Conference , LRC XIV, 2009
- G. Doherty, Best practice for software development in mental healthcare settings, Expert Conference on Technology Enhanced Treatment Delivery, Heidelberg,, 2007
- J. Sharry, D. Coyle, M. Matthews, E.Brosnan, G. Doherty and C. Fitzpatrick, Therapeutic Technology. Irish Social Worker, pp.2-6, Winter 2007.
- Matthews, M., Doherty, G., Sharry, J., & Fitzpatrick, C. (2007a). Monitoring mood using mobile phones – a comparative study. Poster presented at European Society for Child and Adoloscent Psychiatry. Florence, Italy.
- J. McKnight and G. Doherty, Design Concepts for Mobile Healthcare Work, ECSCW Workshop on Nomadic Work, 2007.
- G. Doherty and S. Luz, HCI Research at Trinity College Dublin,iHCI 2007 – Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference, Limerick, Ireland, 2 May 2007.
- M.Harrison, G. Doherty and J. Campos, Is there a role for rigorous system analysis in experience centred design?, Workshop on Space, Place, and Experience in Human Computer Interaction, 10th IFIP International Conference on Human Computer Interaction (Interact), 2005.
- G.Doherty, M.Massink and G.Faconti, Stochastic Modelling of Interactive Systems with UML, Towards a UML Profile for Interactive Systems (TUPIS) UML 2000 Workshop, York, October 2000.
- G.Doherty, Continuous Interaction and Human Control , ERCIM News 40, Jan 2000.
Departmental Technical Reports
- Connor Upton, Gavin Doherty and Myra O’Regan, Usability Evaluation of an Ecological Interface for Process Control Health Monitoring, TCD-CS-2007-32 David Coyle, Gavin Doherty and John Sharry, The Design of Computer Systems for Talk-Based Mental Health Care Interventions, Department of Computer Science Technical Report, Trinity College Dublin, TCD-CS-2005-50 , 2005