|Job Title: Professor|
|Qualifications: MSc, Dr. techn., FTCD|
|Research Areas: Software performance optimization, embedded systems|
|Courses: CS2014/5 Systems Programming, CS3014 Concurrent Systems I|
|Location: Lloyd Institute 027|
|Phone: (+353 1 896) 3693|
|e-mail: David.Gregg at cs.tcd.ie|
|Postal Address: Dr David Gregg, Department of Computer Science, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland.|
I'm an associate professor in Computer Science at Trinity College
Dublin. Before coming to Trinity, I completed a doctorate in Computer
Science at the Technische Universitaet in Vienna, on the topic of
compiling for advanced instruction level parallel architectures in
2001. In May 2007 I was elected a Fellow of Trinity College Dublin. I
am head of the Discipline of Software Systems. My current research
deals with compilers, software development tools, and program
optimization with a particular focus on multi-core
My Research interests
- Compiler optimization
- Processor microarchitecture
- Virtual machines for implementing high-level languages
- Multi-core architectures
- Compilers and virtual machines for scripting languages
- Compiling for instruction level parallelism
- Domain Specific Languages
- Field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs)
- Experimental algorithmics
Graduate Research Students
Previous Research Students
With current affiliation where known.
- Aravind Vasudevan, PhD graduand (TCD)
- Martin Marinov, PhD (SIG)
- Andrew Anderson, PhD (TCD)
- Servesh Muralidharan, PhD (Irish Centre for High-End Computing)
- Robert Crosbie, PhD (Amazon)
- Peter Lavin, PhD (TCD)
- Jason McCandless, PhD (Google)
- R. Scott Manley, PhD. (Cray)
- Paul Biggar, PhD. (Founder of CircleCI)
- Kevin Williams, PhD. (The Now Factory)
- Nicholas Nash, PhD. (SIG)
- Yunhe Shi, PhD.
- Colm McSweeney, MSc. (Synopsys)
- Owen Callanan, PhD. (Dell Cloud Computing R&D Centre)
- Daniel Clarke, MSc. (Irdeto)
- Andrew Beatty, MSc. (Galway-Mayo IT)
- Richard Bannister, MSc. (Amazon)
- Kevin Casey, PhD. (NUI Maynooth)
- Brian Davis, MSc. (NUI Galway)
Junior Academic Progressions Committee, 2015-.
School administrative duties
- SCSS Strategic Planning Group, 2015-.
- Head, Discipline of Software Systems, 2014-.
- MSc in Computer Science Course Review Committee, 2014-2015.
- Course Director, Structured PhD Programme, 2011-.
- School Research Studentships Coordinator, 2011-.
- Computer Science Programme Course Committee, 2011-.
- Structured PhD Programme Review Committee 2011.
- PhD exam chair 2008-.
- Coordinator of Research Methods programme for Postgraduate Research Students (with Prof. Remenyi) 2007.
- Representative of the junior academic staff on the Executive Commitee of the School of Computer Science and Statistics, 2005-2007.
- Department of Computer Science PhD Workshop 2003-2006.
- New PhD students' introductary event 2004-2006.
- Coordinator of the "20/20 Vision Group" on the long-term future of the School of Computer Science and Statistics 2005-2006.
An auto-generated list of my publications can be found from here.
You can also check out my DBLP page, or an older and less complete list of some of my publications can be found here.
engine is a very nice example of the use of some of our research on interpreters in practical applications.
- I am a member of the European Network of Excellence on High Performance and Embedded Architecture
and Compilation (HiPEAC).
- I am a member of Lero - The Irish Software Engineering Research Centre
[Trinity College Dublin]
David.Gregg at cs.tcd.ie